CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

RMH

When the social worker at the hospital tells you that there is a place by the name of the Ronald McDonald House, which will provide a roof over your head and a meal on the table, you might have mixed thoughts in your head. I know I did. I remember agreeing with her, thinking oh great! I had this vision in my head that was unclear as to whether I wanted to look into it more or just fork out bucks to stay somewhere else. I quickly asked people on facebook what they knew about the RMH and got nothing but good information about it, but was still like hum.....
It was not until that Sunday when I got discharged from the hospital that I had a chance to really see what a RMH is and what it provides and would be providing for me for how knows how many weeks ahead. Granted I knew it could not be picky especially when I was only paying $15/night or $105/week, but I was still questioning whether or not this was a good idea or not.
I quickly discovered that this place was clean, the people were nice and that I was not the only one who had a child in the hospital. Our room, 101, was this small bedroom across from the kitchen, with sage green walls with a closet, two twin beds, a nightstand and a bathroom with a stand up shower. That was it! It felt like a college dorm room and my mama was my roommate!! LOL Over time, it became my home. A place I looked forward going to each night to lay my head and rethink the days events. A place that welcomed me with open arms and was stable enough to provide me food each night along with any other meals I might have needed, a midnight snack, a pop for only $0.25 as I headed out for the day. THIS WAS MY HOME for 6 weeks and a place a I was sad to leave because I had needed it over this journey.

One way the RMH is able to keep the cost down is by donations such as money, supplies, food and pop can tabs. Yes, pop can tabs! Something so small and so easy to save helps keep the cost down for those families, such as mine, while in the time of need and so far away from home. I would ask for everyone to start saving the tabs after they enjoy a drink. It is such a simple way to give back to a place that helps so many families each day.
I have decided on saving Greyson's formula can to decorate and give away for saving tabs. It has crossed my mind to look into doing a tab drive at the schools next year or even to be able to place a can in the teacher's lounge or in your break room at work. I think of how many can a Bar tosses on a busy weekend....! I am willing to go around and collect the tabs from the cans and get them to a RMH. Or if you save them at home, give me a jingle and I will come grab them from you and get them to a RMH. I just think something so easy would be a nice way to give back.
If you have any ideas or would like a can (got to give me time to save them up) leave me a comment.

1 comments:

Yarngoddess said...

I forgot that RMH collect's soda pop top's! I am so going to save all of mine (and we have about $100 of recycle stuff to be recycled!) and send it to you! I am so glad that they were able to help you, it really is an amazing place. I remember WAY back in the day when Trallina (stuart?) had her twins in highschool and she stayed there because her babies were preemie's as well. Since then I have always put my change from McDonalds in the RMH boxes in front of the cashier- and now will think of you as well when we give our change to the boxes for RMH!
Yeah Greyson!

Post a Comment